[IMC-Tech] Server/Transmitter Room Issues

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 21:35:56 CDT 2006

this is a good idea.  i have been setting up nagios service and
network monitoring for all of the servers currently up there... but i
havent finished yet.  as it is right now the few poor souls that are
very dependent on imsahp being up are our monitoring software (big
thanks to sascha, zach, mike, everyone else... you know who you are.).

its been kind of a craze that last couple months with adding
infrastructure to the imc for both chambana.net and cuwin projects.
that said with august starting there should be more time for such
things.  also, if anyone has linux/bsd administration experience and
wants to donate those skills we could get a lot of things done
quicker, else you will just have to wait for zach and i.

On 8/5/06, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 12:13:56PM -0500, Mike Lehman wrote:
> > Can someone give a short explanation of why we continue to have
> > intermittent problems with the server/transmitter room. Is the power
> > going out or is just a connectivity problem with the network?
>
>   [...]
> > In any case, I was again unable reach the IMC website or any of the
> > groogroo mailing lists this morning between about 10:15am and 11:45am.
> > It has come back up, but given only intermittent connectivity since. It
> > loads about half the editor's webpage and then quits.This has gotten to
> > be a major problem and we need to make it a top priority to get it
> > resolved. It's like owning a car that is always in the shop and still
> > having to make payments on something that won't get you around the block.
> > Mike Lehman
>
> Curious -- is there any sort of external testing being done?
> I could imagine setting up an automated gadget to try, say, to read
> the front page of one of the IMC sites at regular intervals,
> say every 15 or 30 minutes, from a non-IMC-network site.
> If it caught a failure, you could compare later with logs on the
> server end to see whether anything had got through at all.
> Do you have information like that already, or if not, does it seem
> worth trying?
>
>    Stuart

Daniel