[IMC-Tech] Re: [IMC-Space] two more public access machines...

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Aug 30 22:14:17 CDT 2006

I purchased three tables for public access at the Dump and Run (cheap).

One is circular and good for one computer in the library space, one
is a kitchen table good for 2 machines, one is an antique wood school
desk & good for the lobby area.

Public access should not use the collapsible tables b/c they are in
high demand.

We should talk to Carol Inskeep, our librarian brainiac about how to
put software on the machine to prevent porn.

There will be 3 new wireless cards for machines next week - bringing
our total to 4.

We should take this discussion off the IMC list and onto tech and space.

- Danielle

On Aug 30, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Mike Lehman wrote:

> Dan,
> We planned to have a general discussion where to place the public
> access computers at the Sept. 7 Steering meeting.
>
> Do I understand correctly that all of these machines are wireless,
> so we do not need to worry about running ethernet and only need AC
> power? If that is so, then we can be pretty flexible.
>
> I do know that the current location is a problem for Shows, so it
> was suggested at the last Steering meeting that those four machines
> be dispersed. I suggested the little nook between the front double
> doors and the production room for one, one in the library area to
> facilitate taking meeting notes, one in the southeast Sun Room to
> facilitate activities in there, and there was some thought on
> setting one up on a mobile platform for that it can be relocated
> easily anywhere on the first fllor as needed. All these ideas
> depend on finding suitable furniture to support them other than on
> the large tables they are on now. Ideas for other locations are
> solicited -- bring them to the meeting on Sept. 7 or send an email
> to imc-space at ucimc.org.
>
> Adding a machine in the lobby is a good idea, although our current
> "porn problem" does cause me some trepidation about locating one
> there. But this is potentially a problem with any of them. I think
> we'll need to see how they're used and make sure that ones which
> develop into attractive nuisances are relocated to discourage such
> behavior.
> Mike Lehman
>
> dan blah wrote:
>> hey all,
>> there has been a request to put two more plublic access machines in
>> the imc main floor.  we just got two more pc's that will work just
>> nicely for this purpose.  the plan was to put one in the main lobby
>> and somewhere else in the main space.  danielle was working to
>> purchase some wireless cards needed to allow them internet,.
>> whenever
>> those are here bring them up to the cuwin room and i will get those
>> boxes up and running.  let me know where everyone wants them too.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel

Danielle Chynoweth
Vice-President of Design