[IMC-Tech] meeting tomorrow - sick

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Wed Jan 11 22:08:29 CST 2006

I don't know if anyone remembers that we have a
chambana-future/imc-tech meeting tomorrow (Thursday). I am
unfortunately feeling quite ill and am in Chicago so I won't be making
the trip for the meeting.

The number one thing we have to do right now is decide where we want
to buy our bandwidth and how we're going to pay for it.

Where is everyone at on this? Did anyone do any further research on
bandwidth costs?

I continue to believe that the right approach to this is the approach
used successfully with the new IMC building. We buy the T1 service
now, start paying for it out of existing grant funds, get the server
moved, and start finding ways to pay for it right away. Those "ways"
include offering bandwidth and colocation to tenants for pay, getting
some nearby folks to pay for bandwidth via CUWiN, billing our
chambana.net clients, getting some IMC working groups to chip in funds
for their special needs, etc. If the bandwidth needs of these varied
groups winds up being more than a T1 worth then we ought to set the
prices such that we'll be able to afford multiple T1s once everyone is
online and pays up. Maybe if we have the greese the wheels we can get
a few "true believers" in the project to "guarantee" the funding in
the way that I have for the past several years.

--
Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/