[IMC-Tech] internet access in the basement

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 08:58:03 CDT 2006

first i should probably do something that needed to be done when i did
this, that is show you a quick/dirty diagram of the current ucimc
network.  internet --> firewall (teco, top floor in old post office
peep space) --> switch in audio/video production room --> rfu studio
patch panel --> switch in btp anter(what do we call this room) room
-->  switch in btp room.  from the switch in the anter/whatever room
there is a line that feeds melody's studio, family room wireless, and
office next to the family room.  the firewall is the dhcp server for
the whole building.  there can be only one dhcp server for the whole
building.  the dhcp address given by the firewall/teco is
192.168.42.100-199.  eventually thers will be the only addresses
allowed to get to the internet.

following are assumptions of what i think happened and caused problems
(only assumptions as i wasnt there :).  the first thing i noticed and
the first thing i think happened is the switch in audio/video
production room was borked.  the feed from the firewall was not
plugged in all the way.  my assumption is that this happened during
the rfu studio redesign when they were moving stuff around (no worries
stuff like that happens all the time).  secondly, i on either the
linksys box in the family room, the linksys box in the anter/whatever
room or the linksys box in the btp room someone turned on a dhcp
server.  i know this because the computers in btp are getting dhcp
replies issuing them 192.168.1.100 addresses (not the same ip scheme
as the main imc firewall).  this will make all the computers in the
whole building think they are supposed to go out this linksys box for
internet.  none of those linksys boxes are plugged directly into the
internet causing the network to fail.

i had at one point turned off dhcp on all those linksys boxes so
someone had to turn it back on.  this is an honest mistake partly my
fault because i didn't tell anyone i did it.  the solution was to turn
off dhcp on the linksys box and disconnect/reconnect the network
cables going to the computers.

Daniel