[IMC-Tech] Radio Bilingüe streaming problem

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 8 07:26:56 CDT 2006

Dear IMC Tech People:

Yesterday (Wednesday) I was listening to Radio Bilngüe on WRFU from about
2:15 to 2:55 pm and it was in bad shape.

WRFU broadcasts Radio Bilingüe as a live webcast between 2 and 4 pm on
weekdays, using ZaraRadio's new ability to play Windows Media Player
streams.  It kept cutting out with about 5 seconds of audio followed by 5 or
more seconds of silence.

I know the problem is not at the streaming server end, as the same programs
is played from the UIUC network on the Latino Radio Service at 1660 AM and I
didn't heard a single interruption there during this period.

I also rarely noticed any interruptions before the IMC switched over to
Insight as ISP, and wonder why we can't keep up with an audio stream that is
only 20 kps.

Anybody have any ideas as to what the problem might be and how it might be
fixed?

--Gary

P.S. ZaraRadio is currently configured to drop the stream and go to the
playlist if there is 30 seconds of silence. I wonder if it might be better
to set the silence detector to a shorter period (say 10 or 15 seconds) and
have it pick up the stream again after 5 or 10 minutes. Might this give a
fresh start and better performance than hanging on to a lousy connection?