[IMC-Tech] ghosts

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Tue May 9 16:43:30 CDT 2006

I feel like I'm being haunted by the ghosts of every problem I solved
for this server over the past 6 years by eventually getting a T1.

We had a high but legitimate burst of traffic sustained over about an
hour just now and it THRASHED our latency. Round trip times for
packets went to 2 seconds. That really shouldn't be what happens
during high traffic events, it isn't what happened on the T1.

It looks like things just fall apart when our total throughput goes
over 400Kbps. We're sitting at 300Kbps right now.

I've done what I can with banning rogue IPs (both spam bots and some
experiemental search engines that don't play nice) but we had
legitimate users updating their SVN repositories for CUWiN and it
slammed us.

Just one more of many points against this Insight service. We'll see
how often we get slammed like this.

We might be able to work around this by throwing some bandwidth
shaping on a bottle neck router between the cable modem and the
server. But that's just one more thing on our already huge plate of
things to do.

--
Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/