[IMC-Tech] re global response to website

David Gehrig gehrigspamtrap at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 13:20:40 CDT 2006

Moved this off the space list.

I agree that the way I'm doing the cities list now isn't ideal. But
I think it's important to stick to a single sidebar, because it just
makes the site _so_ much easier to read.  There are other
sites that use drupal and use both sidebars -- sydney comes
to mind -- but I think the result is a visually noisy site.  When
things calm down I may do some additional redesign to make
ucimc.org a little better looking, but not at the expense of
legibility.  There's something to be said about visual consistency
between sites, but not if it makes the site harder to read or
use.  Adding a left sidebar means legibility would take a big
hit.

See also the Vancouver drupal site, which got rid of the cities
list altogether, as far as I can tell.  Boston has collapsed
the list.

Initially I wanted to put the cities list on a separate page
because it's so space-consuming, but wiser heads prevailed.
I'm thinking of (eventually) hacking the cities module so
that it produces output I can put into a footer like the one
now at la.indymedia.org, although without such tiny print.
I think that's a better use of screen space, and the footer
won't be so far out of the way if the cities list isn't pushing
it down so far!

drupal does save the IPs of posters as part of the database,
but they're only displayed to editors and administrators
through the log function.  We can set how long that log
is kept; I think I've got it at one day now.

I'll take a look at the patch; the ideal thing would be a
cronjob that would zap the IP category in all posts that have
gotten more than a day old since the last zapping.  That
would give us enough time to do spammicidal duties
without leaving stuff around forever.

The bad behaviour module keeps a separate log for just
the folks it suspects of spamming; I'd like to keep that
one on too, although I'm not sure how long that log lasts.

@%<