[IMC-Tech] File 13 for Email, I Give Up

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:27:34 CDT 2006

On 10/16/06, Wendy Edwards <wedwards at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Here are some SpamAssassin/Mailman resources I found.
>
> Integrating SpamAssassin with Mailman
> http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/
>
> How do I use SpamAssassin with Mailman?
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.023.htp
>
> - Wendy
>

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:17:34AM -0500, David Gehrig wrote:
> > Is whichever server hosts these lists already running procmail?  From a
> > quick poke around, it seems like one of the standard solutions is to
> > configure procmail to call SpamAssassin (which reads email and marks the
> > Spam ones it finds) as part of its normal handling of mail, and then
> > configure mailman to ignore the ones identified as spam.
> >
> > @%<

> > >True, but I'd say buying time is good.  At least we'll have
> > >a chance to evolve as the spam climate continues to heat up.
> > >
> > >On the NCSA e-mail system, where the organization-wide filters detect
> > >100-150 spam messages sent to me each day, my personal procmail filters
> > >catch another 5-10 per day that the NCSA filters miss.  I'm regularly
> > >adding things that legit messages just won't contain, like "st-0ck" or
> > >"stockk" or "PH[a-z]*RMA".

current path of mail...

postfix receives message -> checks against dnsbl -> passed to postgrey
for greylisting which deffers accepting a msg for 300 seconds -> then
sent to amavisd which sends the message to clamav then to
spammassassin -> amavisd then sends it back to postfix for final
delivery

this was a topic on this list a couple months ago about things we can
tweak:  adding any number of envelope checking to prevent postfix from
every accepting connections from hosts (dnsbl), checking for non-RFC
compliant smtp behavior, and working on spamassassins rules.

--
Daniel