[IMC-Tech] Re: imsahp swapping

Daniel Lewart lewart at ucimc.org
Tue Sep 5 16:53:48 CDT 2006

Stuart, et al,

> Sorry if this is old hat, but... I see that imsahp
> is (a) very slow this morning (web server so backlogged
> that it's mostly been unresponsive, many connections in SYN_RECV
> state, load average 30 a bit ago) and (b) short enough of
> memory that it's swapping -- "vmstat 1" shows lots of
> si/so (swapin/swapout) busy-ness, and many many processes
> are stuck in D state, so waiting for disk-like I/O.
> Some are probably really doing I/O on files (mysqld maybe),
> but I bet many were really fighting for pages of memory.

I'm glad someone is analyzing what's wrong with imsahp.

> Also, even the swap space is getting fairly full:
> /proc/swaps shows about 200MB left of ~700MB allocated.
> I wonder if some of the past flakiness could be coming from
> processes being killed due to lack of swap space?

> /proc/meminfo shows the machine has an odd amount of RAM,
> 640MB, is that right?  It looks as though the motherboard
> might be an Asus A7M, which could take 768MB.  If it can
> take a little more RAM than it has now, I'd be pleased to
> buy and donate some.

dmesg says:
    ACPI: DSDT (v001   ASUS      K7M 0x00001000 MSFT 0x0100000b) @ 0x00000000
I think it has 640MB and an Asus K7M can take 768MB.

I have three cron jobs running every five minutes with the following log
files which you may find useful:
	/var/log/swaps.log
	/var/log/uptime.log
	/var/log/vmstat.log