[UCIMC-Tech] make IMC-Tech archive private?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Aug 31 16:40:05 CDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 11:56:21AM -0500, Barry Isralewitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Since information on stuff like Paypal and imminent-domain-
> expiration information  is sometimes-on IMC-Tech, can we make the IMC-
> Tech archive viewable only by list members, so that Google and other
> web-crawelers (robots.txt observant or not) cannot see it?  We might
> be exposing information that auto-web-searchers can pick up to help
> their evil masters attempt Paypal fraud (somewhat likely), domain
> ransom (less likely), and  similar.
>
> 	Smaller concern: Might be a good idea for any working group that
> discusses physical security procedures, new equipment, and the like
> to do this too -- although risks here are relatively tiny.
>
> 	Anyone interested could gain access to an archive by signing up, of
> course.  Just want to blind web-crawlers.  Can add a nice strong
> CAPTCHA to list signup if feeling really paranoid...

I don't think it is a good idea to close the archives.  The archive is
a lot less useful if it is not indexed by Google.  Also, IMC mailing
lists were purposefully made open subscription, open archives.  I do
not think that should change without examining the original reasons for
having open mailing lists.  Maybe an "old hand" can fill you in.

Dave

dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24