[IMC-Tech] Re: [RFU] streams stuttering

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 09:08:32 CST 2007

bingo... the issue is that all of chambana.net is hosted on the same
line as the streaming server.  this means if there is a lot of web or
mail traffic coming in (and going out) streaming hurts.  on the other
side streaming makes our web and mail traffic slower.  we have approx.
100kB of outgoing traffic available to us with streaming taking up
22kB 24/7, mail and web taking anywhere from 50 to 100kB (its jumpy),
plus any traffic generated from people using the rfu studio computer,
the automation computer, and any of the other public access points and
imc tenant workstations.  not to mention if we get blasted by a spam
or web attack everything hurts.

point being, the imc needs a faster line.  a t1 would probably do it
for now but that costs $400/mo.  the imc currently pays $160/mo and
without a single group paying into that fund we are close to loosing
it.

ideally, we need support from at least the two groups that use the
most bandwidth; rfu and chambana.net.  if i were to allocate who
should pay for what it would looks something like this:
--the imc should contribute at least a 3/8ths ($150) to support public
wireless access points, public access machines, tenant workstations,
and the ucimc.org website (currently the busiest site).
--chambana.net should contribute at least a 3/8ths ($150) to support
mail and web services (which *shouldn't* be that hard to generate from
its users).
--rfu should contribute at least a 4th ($100) for streaming, remote
broadcasts (which require a stream to come into the streaming server),
in studio internet access (which is the busiest general access
computer), and the automation computer (which is second only to the
chambana.net web server in traffic used *think about all the podcasts
and streams we play every morning and afternoon*)
--cuwin should contribute about an 8th ($50) to support the public
software repository, potential connected nodes, the cuwin.net website,
and its staff.

there is not a threat or demand of any means but mainly just a fyi as
it has come to me.  with the imc audit taking place in past weeks a
lot of things were brought to light.  what is likely to (must) happen
is a project will support the current imc internet connection but not
enough for a t1 and thus get priority over other projects connections.

i am cross posting this to several public and private lists who are
dependent on our connectivity in hopes other groups will discuss the
possibility of supporting.

On 1/2/07, spamtanic at yahoo.com <spamtanic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tried Winamp and WMPlayer, on high and low-bandwidth.
> Both had to constantly keep buffering every few
> seconds - basically un-listen'able. My hunch is that
> the source isn't spitting-out enough data fast enough,
> or that the outgoing pipe nearest RFU is too narrow.

Daniel