[UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Imc] Today's Internet Outage

Dan Blah blah at chambana.net
Thu Jul 12 23:52:07 CDT 2007

Mike Lehman wrote:
> Dan,
> I guess this means that previous planning for better connectivity at
> the IMC has hit a snag? Time for some sort of Plan B, as Insight was
> never meant as anything more than a temporary solution based on what I
> remember. There are several obstacles to be overcome.

not that things were any more than sand to begin with, its starting look
more like water.
> Planning for solicitation of funding from chambana.net users is
> something that needs to be concluded and an appeal and/or online
> donation venues need to be provided, ASAP. Do I understand correctly
> this was one of the things that was lost in the Great March Server
> Meltdown? It seems like a very high priority to pursue funding in
> recovering from that, at a minimum. We need to also see if developing
> this revenue stream can sustain things or whether we need to come up
> with something else, such as assessing working groups by bandwidth or
> something.

its true, we had a site set up to better handle donations as well as
issue tracking that was lost in the meltdown.  josh and i have recently
discussed rebuilding the new chambana.net website.
> I've been a spectator to these and other recent tech issues, except
> for being an occasionally frustrated IMC-web editor. I've noticed that
> many of those expecting help from IMC-Tech are techies themselves. In
> the old days, this would have precipitated a Tech meeting to get good
> solutions to the issues.
>
> Now, everything seems to get funneled to you and whatever else
> constitutes the nearly-nonexistent IMC-Tech group. I would suggest
> that the optimal solution here is to get people together, especially
> those with tech skills in currently active IMC working groups.
> IMC-Tech has always found this model of those "with a dog in the
> fight" solving the problems that we face worked. I'm not a techie, so
> can't help but to remind us that all the energy spent wondering why
> "IMC-Tech" hadn't solved problem  "X" that my working group "X" needs
> solved ASAP might be better spent on more holistic and participatory
> solutions in a revived IMC-Tech group.

i am game to have a tech group meeting.  in the mean time its easy to
jump onto our irc network.
irc network info:
http://ucimc.org/wiki/index.php/Tech#Connecting_to_the_IRC_Network

> Unless we revive the IMC-Tech group into more than what you and Josh
> can handle in whatever time you have to devote to it, then all those
> expecting connectivity, etc at the IMC will likely see further
> deterioration. We have more infrastructure, higher expectations, and
> less people power than ever to maintain it.
>
> People either need to get used to putting up with the rough edges --
> or they need to do some organizing to get IMC-Tech healthy again.
>
> As for Insight, the sooner we are no longer dependent on that ship o'
> fools, the better, given the last couple of days of incompetence on
> their part. Are we the only location affected? Or are others in
> downtown similarly afflicted?
>
> My 2 cents as a user (but definitely not a techie),
> Mike Lehman
>
> dan blah wrote:
>> Josh King wrote:
>>
>>> Just to let everyone concerned know what happened with the website, our
>>> ISP Insight had an outage in the downtown area today, which resulted in
>>> a loss of internet connectivity for much of the morning and afternoon.
>>> They repaired the problem and the websites and email are now back
>>> online, as well as connectivity within the building.

>> echo but for most all of today.  anyone want to donate a bunch of money
>> so we can get something better than insight to provide internet for the
>> several hundred users of chambana.net :)
>>
>> i was assured after spending over 2 hours on hold today that the issue
>> has been resolved and we shouldn't expect another outage (what they told
>> me yesterday and a few months back).
>>
>> thanks for hanging on...
>> --
>> Daniel