[UCIMC-Tech] Streaming again

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 13:19:16 CDT 2007

RFU hasn't been streaming since the Great March Server Meltdown, so it
hasn't been an issue lately in any of the problems, except in planning
for possible future overall capacity needs -- and even that is problematic.

Unless the proposed copyright licensing fees set for internet
broadcasters are substantially reduced to something that is actually
affordable, we will likely not be streaming again.

In all discussions at RFU about streaming, I've always pointed out that
some way needs to be found to fund streaming on an ongoing  basis, both
the licensing fee (which was originally proposed as around $800/year,
plus bandwidth costs) as it was never expected that the IMC as a whole
should pay for RFU's streaming. Given the uncertain nature of the whole
streaming enterprise, there has been virtually no such fundraising done
(I think there is about $200 set aside for streaming so far and I have
urged that we not begin streaming until we have enough to cover a yera's
worth, plus a workable fundraising plane to fund it.) As for priorities,
getting the permanent tower up will reach more listeners at a much
smaller (and non-recurring) cost per listener than streaming will.
Streaming is a luxury and, like all luxuries, we should only pursue it
if we're sure we can afford it.

Given all these pitfalls associated with streaming, concentrating on
what the IMC's needs are WITHOUT any streaming from RFU is probably the
way to go for planning purposes for overall bandwidth needs. Ideally,
ALL working groups would contribute some minimal amount to support IMC
internet services, since we all benefit from the various IMC websites
and wireless connectivity in the IMC. Even at $10/month, this would
cover a substantial chunk of the $160 current cost. Combine that with
urging others using chambana.net services to  make their own
contributions, we should be able to fund the service we currently have.
Upgrades to a T1, etc, would obviously increase these financial
requirements.

Of course, knowing where all working groups are financially so we can
appeal to them for help with funding bandwidth depends on getting the
internal working group fund reconciliation done, which is close, but
still not quite there.
Mike Lehman