[IMC-Tech] resolved SSI problem, contact attempts, and sysadmin office hours suggestion [was: Re: week four of unanswered request: web server logs missing ]

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 1 19:00:06 CDT 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 05:52:27PM -0500, Josh King wrote:

> Sorry for the delay Barry, we've been plagued with technical problems
> and work issues this month. I believe the web server just needed to be
> restarted.
> This seems to have been fixed as of a few days ago. Logs are
> in the same place.
(Still broken; discussed in a separate mail)

>Are you still having the other problem you asked
> about originally? When I check the site I didn't find any indication of
> the errors you mentioned, were they otherwise resolved, or is there more
> info you could provide?
  Lack of access to the server error messages made
solving the SSI problem harder.  I was able
to experiment until I solved the problem May 17, which  I reported to
IMC-Tech, archived version at:
http://lists.chambana.net/mailman/archive/imc-tech/2007-May/003257.html
( Re: problems with web server, Thu May 17 16:13:14 CDT 2007, Barry
Isralewitz)

> Also, where was it that you left voice messages?
  Mostly to Dan Meredith, at least one to you, perhaps others. All to voice mail
boxes at (217) 278-3933, variousily via the operator at ojctech.com connecting me
to voice mail, entering in direct extension numbers, or using the name
directory.  The message system played the standard identifying announcement in Dan's
(or your) voice each time, verifying I'd reached the intended voice mail
box.  I left my name, cell phone number recited slowly (and twice), and a
brief message like "There are still some things not working on the web
server, I still haven't heard back from you, please give me a call."

> Sorry again for the long delay, let us know if you have any other problems.
  It would be a great help if the chambana.net admins (you, Dan,
others?) could together set up a few "sysadmin office hours" each week, when we know we could
come to someone with problems/questions.  Even scheduling  two hours, two days
a week would make a huge difference.

      Cheers,

      Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364