[Imc] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] cu-smokefree.org renewal

dan blah blah at chambana.net
Tue Jun 26 20:10:05 CDT 2007

john martirano wrote:
> i second the sentiment,
> i offered a donation of both equipment and $ for hosting amid requests
> for both from ucimc tech and never heard back after repeated requests.
> the obvious solution is to advertise imc hosting resources as a DIY
> (ie not supported) solution at best, otherwise important projects may
> be inadvertently misled and harmed
>
> john
>
> On 6/26/07, Daniel Lewart <lewart at ucimc.org> wrote:
>> UCIMC,
>>
>> On Fri Jun 22, 2007, I pleaded:
>>
>> > Two weeks ago, C-U Smokefree Alliance sent UCIMC a check:
>> >       Jun 7, 2007
>> >       $12.00
>> >       Memo: UCIMC domain renewal
>> > However, cu-smokefree.org was not renewed, and apparently expired
>> Jun 10.
>> > Could someone fix this ASAP?
>>
>> Still nothing has happened.  If UCIMC is incapable of managing
>> domain renewals, y'all should quit claiming to do so.
>>
>> Not happy,
>> Dan
>> lewart at ucimc.org

not to be the bearer of bad news but maybe everyone should go check out
http://chambana.net/agreement.html and pay attention to the part that
says "Chambana.net does not provide technical help or assistance beyond
basic server administration and maintenance."  this has been there way
before my time.  this means we will keep the servers and their services
going and attempt to break anything that we broke when we can.  this is
not to say that we don't try to do more than that, but do understand we
are volunteers with bills, responsibilities, and day jobs.  if you want
more, be patient... if you want to donate hardware, leave at the imc
with a sign that says imc-tech on it... become part of the group, go
find some punk kid admin who's like us, go buy a couple of linux/unix
admin books... but please don't complain about a service that helps
power the local community at mostly the expense of its maintainers.

regarding Daniel Lewart, the ucimc-tech group is not the ucimc-finance
group.  can someone in the ucimc-finance group confirm we received the
check?  this whole issue was resolved with a new chambana.net site which
had information for sending donations directly to the group.
unfortunately, that site was lost in the server crash a couple months
ago.  time permitting, we will be trying to get that site up again.