[UCIMC-Tech] Re: make a members-only view section of UCIMC's wiki

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 27 20:09:32 CDT 2007

Hello,

On Jun 26, 2007, at 7:47 PM, dvv wrote:

> Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>>
>> Hi Barry,
>>
>> I've forwarded your e-mail to the IMC-Tech group since I don't
>> handle mediawiki
>> permissions anymore.  I'm hoping someone on this list can help you
>> out.
>>
>> - --Sascha
>>
>> Barry Isralewitz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sascha,
>>>
>>> Hope I'm writing to the correct person about this:
>>>
>>> Can thebikeproject have a members-only-readable area of UCIMC's
>>> wiki? I suppose we would do whatever Finance does to make the
>>> following work:
>>> http://www.ucimc.org/wiki/index.php/Finance/Private
>>>
>>>  I guess this  is related to Mediawiki "group rights:.
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights
>>>
>>> On the chance that you (or the person your forward the mail to)
>>> wants to
>>> do this right away, I'll suggest the group name "bikeproj" (any name
>>> that is not "bike" would be fine, to avoid confusion between our
>>> Unix
>>> group and wiki group).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Barry
>>> --
>>>

> this wiki is for the u-c imc and its working groups.  i can set you
> up with a user/pass and database for you to setup your own wiki if
> you would like.

	The Bike Project is currently a subsidiary entity of UC-IMC but is
not a "Working Group".  At last definition, "a fiscally sponsored
project of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center Foundation"
If this is sufficient standing to secure us some wiki-group-member-
only-readable pages (any non-'bot welcome to join the wiki group), I
respond:
	Excellent; let's add pages as done for Finance, along the lines I
suggest above.  Note these are planned to be low-to-medium-use pages
for 5-50 people to use for editing meeting agendas, hashing out
policy documents, and similar, so I do not forsee much of  a resource
burden.

           If The Bike Project's current standing in UC-IMC is not
sufficient to get us some
wiki-group-member-only-readable pages then I respond:
	thanks for the offer of user/pass and database!  Some questions -- a
user/pass for which resource do you mean, dvv?  I  have an account,
barryi, on zeco.chambana.net  which I use for web site admin.   As to
database, do you mean some separate database that can run a
completely separated wiki from http://www.ucimc.org/wiki/, but one
that still takes advantage of the MediaWiki install / mysql/postgres
server instances?  Do you mean something similar to this:

"Reusing the same code for multiple Wikis"
'Sometimes you may need to install separate wikis ...in the same
server. '
http://just-tech.blogspot.com/2007/01/mediawiki-reusing-same-code-
for.html

?

Be happy to follow any guidelines you have set, but want to also keep
in mind avoiding unnecessary duplication of  admin effort (my own,
chambana.net)  and/or unnecessary  burden on chambana.net machine
resources.

	Cheers,

	Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364