[UCIMC-Tech] Fwd: [Btp-keystaff] a group of volunteers this afternoon

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 13 15:34:52 CDT 2007

I want to make an appeal for working groups to help contribute aid and
members to the Tech group. Having been through the history of the ups
and downs of IMC-Tech, all groups at the IMC are dependent on the
services of Tech and all ought to consider how they can contribute to it.

Tech has dwindled to just a handful of members, who have far too much
work shoveled onto them. They have put out a call recently for people to
start attending their meetings, which are at 6pm on Tuesdays, but have
found little response from what I've heard. Yet I constantly see working
groups asking for assistance from our overloaded Tech team. In reality,
you are asking one of two or three people to do something for you.

To avoid the frustration of lengthy waits for Tech help, I'd suggest
that any working group that regularly relies on Tech support to poll
their own members to see who has skills that could be of help and ask
then to get involved with Tech. Expectations that there is a large group
of Techies just waiting to respond to your requests are far too
optimistic, given how thin Tech is stretched.

In the past, Tech has had active members from most, if not all, working
groups. Now it does not and given the structure of the IMC and the
voluntary nature of Tech work, working groups may have to start calling
the Geek Squad or someone else who expects to be paid, if they expect a
quick response. To avoid this increasingly likely scenario, if you
aren't able to wait until someone has the time to respond, it may be
because Tech just doesn't have the organizational capacity for quick
response due to lack of participation by those who might be in a
position to contribute.
Mike Lehman