[UCIMC-Tech] uiuc, Print ethernet

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 20 13:39:18 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:37:23AM -0500, Bob Illyes wrote:
> The Print room ethernet is OK. Someone has managed to corrupt the computer
> that we normally have connected. I tried another computer, and it worked
> fine. I'll take it from here, since the bug is in one of Print's
> computers.....
> -------------
> The switch from uiuc.edu to illinois.edu is going to cause a lot of bounces
> on chambana.net. For example, I can send to the lists from my office, which
> still uses illyes at uiuc.edu, but UIUC web mail changes it to
> illyes at illinois.edu, which bounces. Is it possible to treat illinois.edu
> and uiuc.edu as equivalent at the chambana end, or is every uiuc user going
> to have to change his Eudora (etc.) and alter his chambana.net entries
> after doing this (if this is possible)???

The only good thing about this stupid name change is that
they seem to be promising that anyone can *send* to <someone>@uiuc.edu
indefinitely.

For a particular list, it should be possible to take the list of members,
select out those whose addresses end in @uiuc.edu,
use a text editor to change those to @illinois.edu,
and paste the result into the "Privacy"/"Sender Filters" list of people
whose postings are automatically accepted.

That's best.  Then mail is accepted from either the old or the new address.

That's not too much work for administrators who run just one or two lists,
though it'd be a big chore to repeat for all the hundreds that the IMC maintains.

I don't know whether it's possible to dig in the bowels of mailman and
do this automatically.

I'm also not sure how to easily get a list of all subscribers to a list.
The listinfo page can often show the set of subscribers who allow their names to be visible,
but that's not all of them.  List admins can in principle see them all, but the only
way I know to do it involves the Membership page, which only shows an alphabetical
chunk of up to a few dozen list members at a time.  That's a pain if you run a list with
hundreds of members, and the format is not convenient for copy-and-pasting.

Any bulk *subscription* change (which would change where the lists send mail *to*)
definitely must NOT involve globally replacing "uiuc.edu" subscriptions with "illinois.edu"
subscriptions without regard to the rest of the e-mail address...
People with addresses of the form <someone>@<somedept>.uiuc.edu
will get converted to <someone>@<somedept>.illinois.edu when their department mail
servers do it, and many departments have not.

However I think it would be safe to add all *.uiuc.edu -> *.illinois.edu people to the
acceptable-sender lists.