[UCIMC-Tech] editing dangerous message out of "peace@lists.chambana.net" mailman database?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 25 19:05:55 CDT 2008

A message got sent to "peace at lists.chambana.net" today, announcing a local event --
a speech by a Colombian activist, H. M.

But, the message and its Subject line include the activist's full name,
but also this warning:

     Mr. <M> has received many death threats.
     Please do not include his name on any web site.
     You are welcome to e-mail other people who might
     be interested in attending the presentation and discussion period.

So: is it possible to either expunge this message from the database,
or else edit it?

The message appears on imsahp as
    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/peace/2008-August/021553.html

It's of course also in the author/date/subject/thread HTML pages in that same directory,
and in aggregates like
    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/peace/2008-August.txt
    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/peace/2008-August.txt.gz

It's also in the mbox file,

    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/peace.mbox/peace.mbox

though I'll bet that is not web-accessible -- right? --
so I don't think it needs to be expunged from there.

I've set the "peace" list archives -- normally public -- to be private
for the time being, to hold the web crawlers at bay until this can be sorted out.

thanks for any assistance!

    Stuart