[UCIMC-Tech] Ironically, you can't get to news-gazette.com from the IMC building

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:54:45 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:27:30PM -0600, Danielle Chynoweth wrote:
> Nicole, Stephen, and Chris all report the problem from the computer lab and
> production room, FYI. - D
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Josh King <josh at ucimc.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't know why this would be, but I'll be in the building at 6pm at the
> > latest today, and will take a look.

A clue: from zeco,
   telnet  www.news-gazette.com  80

yields this:

Trying 192.168.11.11...
Connected to www.news-gazette.com.chambana.net.
[...]

(and lynx returns the chambana.net generic page).

Also,
    host www.news-gazette.com

returns:
    Host www.news-gazette.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

while "host" for some other things, e.g. new.math.uiuc.edu,
return the expected result.

So it looks like some DNS-related problem,
rather than firewall trouble.

Congratulations on getting the new firewall going, Josh!