[Imc-bookkeeper] can now do custom auto-response to Paypal payments! got IPN working for UCIMC, Bike Project, etc. [was: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: IMC membership - paypal follow-up]

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:36:42 CDT 2008

Nicole,

My understanding is that something is needed generally for the whole IMC.

Thanks,
Jay

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Nicole Pion <nicole.pion at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> will be taking the lead on writing these messages.  I'm guessing it would be
>> nice to have a chance to offer feedback before we agree on a final copy and
>> begin using them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jay
>>

>> On 7/9/08, Barry Isralewitz <barryi at ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jay,

>>> some
>>>

>>>   You might also make a "goodbye" letter for cancellations, including
>>> fields and text
>>> like
>>>
>>> "Dear $memberFirstName $memberLastName
>>> Your membership subscription (Paypal #$subscription_number) has been
>>> cancelled.
>>> You remain a member of [group], Your membership rights will last
>>> until  $expiration_date".
>>> If you wish to re-join in the future, see [some web page].
>>> Please contact jay.schubert at gmail.com if you have any questions.
>>> Farewell until we meet again.

>>> auto
>>> everyone
>>> them
>>> someone
>>>

>>>   Drupal + CiviCRM sounds great (and maybe a goal for Bike Project, too),
>>> but
>>> they won't be able to respond to events only Paypal knows about thus must
>>> tell
>>> us about:  subscription cancellations (tested with IPN),  expirations,
>>> and payment
>>> failures. IPN seems to be working with this now.  The email notices would
>>> do
>>> this as well, but no telling when Paypal will fix.
>>>
>>>   Note that "Instant" Notifications may actually take some hours for
>>> Paypal to
>>> actually generate event, but plenty fast for most uses.  Most (not all)
>>> payment
>>> events really are instant, with event generated in seconds.
>>>
>>>   Below are some of the fields in a subscription signup notice my script
>>> generates..
>>>

>>>   Note on Item Numbers: I've been using a convention for identifying IMC
>>> group in a Paypal items
>>> "Item number" since the Bike Project started with PP: indicate your group
>>> with
>>> a unique 4-digit number as the first 4 digits of all the items you offer
>>> via
>>> Paypal. The item number is always the same for a given item (e.g. not a
>>> transaction number).   Bike Project has "2000", others should 'register'
>>> unqiue
>>> numbers between 1000 and 9999 with mail to the Fianance group. Only takes
>>> minute or two to add this to all your current buttons. Note that
>>> "business"
>>> field should serve this purpose, but Paypal regularly gets this field
>>> wrong, as
>>> seen below (Business on the orignating button was "
>>> thebikeproject at gmail.com",
>>> paypal misreports this, substituting the main account address)

>>> ($00.07/yr., test rate);
>>> Item_number = 2000-0023-test2;
>>> Address_name = Barry Isralewitz;
>>>   Address_street = 305 W. Park Street, Apt. 1;
>>>   Address_city= Urbana; Address_state = IL; Address_zip = 61801;
>>> Contact_phone = ;
>>> Custom = ;
>>>
>>> Business = imc-paypal at ucimc.org;
>>> Tax = ;
>>> Memo = ;
>>> Payment_date = ;
>>> Txn_id = ;
>>> Parent_txn_id = ;
>>>
>>> Subscription-only Info
>>> ========================
>>> Txn_type = subscr_signup;
>>> Subscr_date = 11:28:35 Jul 03, 2008 PDT;
>>> Subscr_effective = ;
>>> Period3 = 1 Y;
>>> Amount3 = 0.07;
>>> Mc_amount3 = 0.07;