[UCIMC-Tech] Re: Gmail problems

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Tue May 6 14:10:48 CDT 2008

Hi,

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:41:37PM -0500, Bob Illyes wrote:
> Joy uses gmail without problem, but gmail doesn't work from the Print Mac,
> which has an old OS and browser for arcane reasons. Gmail seems to be picky
> about browsers, and the issue in the Bike Projet may be an old browser
> rather than the UCIMC web service. Print doesn't have any problem with
> Google itself, though, last time I checked.

 Thanks for the info.

 To clarify problem I see in Bike Project computer: the trouble seems to be
with establishing any communication at all with with google.com and/or
gmail.com; so this seems more of a routing/adressing issue than a browser-
compaitiblity issue.  (To be positive, I'll try pings from/to different places
when I'm next in the shop.) The Firefox browser version on Bike Project's BSD
computer is modern enough; it renders gmail and google pages quickly and
accurately during some periods (i.e.  when communication apparently going
well.) Also, the http://google.com default page is very simple, about any
browser around can render it at least somewhat well.

 Hmm... I'm recalling now I had the same problem last week -- periods when
could not contact google.com but could contact all other distant websites -- on
my laptop when connected to OpenIMC in the room 24. (Have latest, stable
browser versions on my laptop.)

 Demonstrate problem with Firefox:
     a) enter 'google.com' into address bar, get animated 'busy' icon
     b) while a) continues, open a new tab.  enter yahoo.com.  page is quickly displayed.
     c) close tab from a) (it is still 'busy'.
     d) open new tab.  try google.com again.  Another 'busy' icon
     e) enter "newyorktimes.com". Page is quickly displayed.  The google pages continue to display 'busy' icons. In some cases, the google pges will appear a few minutes later, sometimes not.

         Cheers,

         Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364