[UCIMC-Tech] Steering Meeting Thursday at 8pm

Nicole Pion nicole.pion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 17:08:16 CST 2008

Hello IMC members and friends,

Our next steering meeting will take place this Thursday, Nov. 6th, at 8pm.
Which working group would like to host?  It's as simple as bringing your
leftover Halloween candy (or some other treats), facilitating the meeting,
and taking notes.

Please note that due to a conflict with the space, we will meet in the web
access lab in the basement level.  The Family Room is in use and IVAW is
hosting a film screening in the main space.  If you are interested in
helping me to fix up the web access lab before that time, please let me
know.

The notes from the last meeting are below.

-Nicole

*
*

*
*

*Steering Meeting Notes, October 9, 2008*

Thanks to Print for hosting!

Books to Prisoners, Suzanne Linder

·         BTP is busy getting ready for their Pages for Pennies book sale
taking place Friday October 17-Sunday Oct 19.  They have plenty of
volunteers and the room will be cleared by Sunday night.

·         Uni High recently raised and donated $1,500 to BTP.

·         There is a BTP video on UPTV featuring Greg Koger, airing dates
forthcoming.  The audio will become a WRFU program

Print, Bob Illyes, Brian Dolinar, Belden Fields

·         The latest edition of the Public I came out today, focusing on the
RNC/DNC.

·         The next issue will focus on the economic crisis and submissions
are welcome.

Production, Steve Fonzo

·         The media training curriculum is still under revision.

·         Production would love more volunteers & indy reporters to create
audio/video community news

WRFU, Steven Fonzo for Tom Garza

·         They will be changing the key code shortly

·         Most staff have been trained or retrained and there are new shows
starting now

Shows, Tommy Griscom

·         Recently, two large punk shows run by Chris Virus took place and
went well, attracting good numbers.

·         The hourly rental rate will go up to $30/hour, but all contracts
and verbal quotes will be honored at $25 rate.  At events where promoters
charge a cover, the IMC will continue to collect $1/head, of which 25% will
go to the shows group.

·         Future planning for the shows group includes upgrades to the stage
area with new lights, curtains and painting the space.  Once a plan is more
concrete the details will come to steering for approval

Tech/Web, Josh King

·         Josh is in the process of redesigning the IMC website (check it
out at: new.ucimc.org).  Feel free to give Josh any feedback, suggestions,
needs, etc

·         Josh will also be upgrading working group websites and putting
them all on the same Drupal platform, with the future goal of integrating a
community media platform for information sharing between sites

·         Any group that wants to create a drupal website can contact Josh
for trainings on setting up and maintaining a site

 Bike Coop, Cranksgiving event, Joel Gillespie

·         On November 16th, the Bike Co-op will host a Cranksgiving event
where cyclists compete in a scavenger hunt around town to find food items to
be donated to the Food Bank of East Illinois.  Celebration afterwards at the
IMC will include donated beer.  Since no cash will exchange hands at this
event (all participants donate canned goods), the group approved alcohol for
this event.  Joel also agreed to implement a sound security plan and to have
all id's checked at the beer distribution point.

Cherry Alley Artists, Rachel

·         Pottery wheel and kiln have been donated to the artists co-op, CAA
hopes to become a working group of the IMC.  Proposal is that the group will
begin meeting, meetings will be open to all IMC members.  After a trial
period, the steering group will be asked to formally approve this working
group, who will oversee all the artists in the space, currently we have 15
artists in residence and many more using the space in other ways.

Finance, Danielle Chynoweth, Jason Turner, Nicole Pion

·         Audit is underway and should be done by the end of October.  In
the future, audits will be less expensive and time consuming, since this
audit covered several years.  Our books are in good shape now.

·         The cost of the audit is can be attributed to the building,
working groups, fiscally sponsored groups, IMC itself.  We have resigned
contracts with fiscal sponsees at a higher rate to help cover the costs
associated with fiscal sponsorship

·         Cost sheet for building – see your spoke – this sheet breaks down
the cost per square foot for each space.  For some spaces the IMC is
breaking even, for others we are not.  Working groups will consider what
they can reasonable contribute to help close this gap, where one exists

·         10% Savings plan: Proposal to be decided at next meeting: Jan
1,2009 – July 31, 2009- the IMC will auto deduct 5% for savings plan.  After
that point, steering will consider raising to 10%.  Fund use will be decided
by the steering group over the course of two meetings, or, in the event that
funds need to be used for an emergency, steering will call an emergency
meeting.

·         Key change: The #4 keys need to be updated, as we have a lot of
keys floating around.  Keys are for current members only.  The group
proposed to update the locks on Jan. 1 2009.  Spokes will bring key
privilege agreements to groups for approval.  This item will be decided upon
at the next steering meeting.

State AmeriCorps Program Site, Nicole Pion

·         The IMC is in the process of applying for a grant that would bring
8 fulltime AmeriCorps volunteers to the IMC in fall of 2009.
·         Groups that are interested should connect with Nicole (
Nicole at ucimc.org) – email forthcoming with details on the application
process and what is required to host a volunteer.

--
Nicole Pion
Outreach and Development Adviser