[UCIMC-Tech] Re: Google via IMC wired ethernet [was: bikeproject computer]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 27 15:28:33 CDT 2008

Barry Israeliwitz had written:

> > > Details:
> > >   Just like with the Bike Project BSD machine,
> > > every site worked except for Google sites, and sites that halted waiting
> > > for googlesyndication.com and Google metrics.

I just had a look at the Bike Project FreeBSD machine.
Its net.inet.tcp.rc1323 is set to the default (1),
which explains why it can't reach Google.

Looking at its /etc/sysctl.conf and at the /etc/rc.d/sysctl
which reads that file, a clue:

  /etc/sysctl.conf mentions:

net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 = 0

But, from a quick glance, the script that reads this
may be expecting no blanks around the "=" sign, as in:

net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

So that's worth a try -- with that change, it might come up correctly
after the next reboot.  Meanwhile you'd want to (as root) do something like

   /sbin/sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
 (with no blanks around the = sign)

which might get it working for now.