[UCIMC-Tech] Reminder about Notification for Repairs, Modifications, or Changes to the IMC Building

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 6 11:56:43 CDT 2009

To all IMC working groups and other organizational tenants in the IMC
building,

Please notify the Finance group via imc-bookkeeper at ucimc.org or speak
with Tim P., our building manager, if you make any changes or need
repairs to the heat or air conditioning, wiring, ethernet and/or
wireless nodes, plumbing, locks, and other general issues with the
building. It's important that issues that need attention be brought to
the attention of the Finance group, even if you feel you are capable of
fixing them yourself. Our building is a complex system of systems, not
all of which are obvious in what or how they function.

We have had situations where ethernet has been disconnected, leaks were
improperly repaired or ignored, thermostats have been tampered with, and
necessary lights fail and aren't replaced.

The boiler and A/C rooms in the basement are especially sensitive areas,
in that a number of crucial building utilities exist there. People seem
to wonder in there all the time, do various things that could or do
cause problems, then leave the lights on, wasting electricity. Alarm
systems are in there, which if tampered with will bring the immediate
attention of the fire and/or police.

All these things have the potential to interfere or actually do cause
problems with the work of other groups in the building, even if you do
something that you think will fix things for you.

Finance coordinates with those at the IMC who are able to fix things
without causing problems for others, such as Tim and various skilled
volunteers. Finance also coordinates with contractors for repairs or
modifications, according to our resources. Even when you are able to
responsibly and effectively fix something, it is to everyone's benefit
for Finance to know about issues in order to limit or prevent future
problems with the building that may indicate they could re-occur.

Please coordinate with Finance on any such issue in order that health
and safety, not to mention convenience, for all users of the building
can be guaranteed.
Thank you,
Mike Lehman