[UCIMC-Tech] Tech Meeting Notes - 03 March 2009

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:03:19 CST 2009

Present: Chris Ritzo, Stephen Fonzo

Agenda:

*Daily Illini journalist visit
*Jacob Hurwith never showed, but he did just e-mail the Tech list with
questions about Chambana.net and the IMC.

*Saturday, Feb 27 Workday review
*Librarians got a lot done Saturday, with 6-10 volunteers organizing zines,
books, and music.

Tech and Production got started with setting up used computers as public
access workstations in the Library.  Due to technical difficulties with some
of the older machines (and a lot of troubleshooting), we got through one
Linux install, and replaced the existing Library workstation.  The goal is
two have two more - one next to it, on a similar desk, and another as a
digital welcome kiosk on one of the black information tables in the
entrance.

We will need to set aside another day to finish this - to also include media
(Linux Ubuntu) stations in the basement lab, and office space in the 3rd
floor break room for Jason, Josh, Nicole, and I.

*Collection Management Tools - Online Search and Test Run
*Chris identified a collections management application, Tellico, that we
tested to see how it would work as a temporary solution for the Library
group to catalog a wide variety of media at the IMC - including RFU's music,
IMC videos, and archives, as well as books and zines.

Tellico worked well, connecting to online databases (Amazon, LOC, etc.) and
exporting XML databases.  I'll try it out with our Wednesday volunteers (see
below) and Librarians may implement this as a starting point while Chris
works on a Drupal-based cataloging system.  We'll need to setup a Library
user on the new Library station, and install Tellico.

*Planning session for March 4 Alternative Spring Break workday
*We worked out the details of our 2 hour student volunteer session:

The students confirmed that they will arrive at 7pm and stay for around 2
hours.  There will be no Production meeting.

We are thinking of dividing the students into teams - at least 3, led by
Chris Ritzo, Nicole Pion, and I.  Over the course of the evening, students
will take turns switching to different teams so they get a chance to do
different activities and learn about the various projects at the IMC.

The tasks/teams we have narrowed down are:

*TEAM 1 - WRFU 104.5 FM Music Library and Automation
*Goals:
- add local music to automation
- organize studio music collection (I'll talk to RFU at their meeting
tonight to ensure that this does not interfere with live shows; we could
even take all the CDs out temporarily and have the volunteers organize them
in boxes or with stickers, then RFU can put them back on the shelves)
- I will probably use Tellico to get them cataloging music while organizing
it
*
TEAM 2 - LIBRARY and Public Meeting Space*
Goals:
- work on periodical index
- organize IMC's video collection (and decide where to put it - Library or
Family Room?)

*TEAM 3 - BOOKS TO PRISONERS
*Goals:
- Move books in Avalanche Room up to first floor stairwell, to prepare for
book sale

We'll split off into groups for the first 1:40, and then assemble as a group
for a tour of the IMC, to end at 9pm.

--
Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor