[UCIMC-Finance] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] imc list

Joshua King josh at ucimc.org
Tue Oct 20 13:30:00 CDT 2009

I gather that the reasoning was that the IMC general list was being for a
primary point of contact for event notification, and a discussion forum for
issues, AND as a repository for subscribing everyone who paid for a
membership. People who were subscribed because of their membership didn't
want the traffic from internal discussions, and it looked unprofessional to
have discussions and arguments on the same list as official press releases
and such. But it makes sense to have a list of all members and a list for
our "public face" (press releases, event notifications, newsletters, etc.).
Since the people who were actually using the list the most were the ones
having the discussions (the most active members, staff, and spokes), it made
the most sense to keep the IMC general list for that, because otherwise we
might have some people continuing to use that list and some people using a
new steering list. I think this was the solution that in the end was thought
to provide the least confusion. I think this is a positive move, because
right now a lot of discussion of the day-to-day running of the IMC takes
place on finance@ and bookkeeper@, which are more confined to particular
groups, just because there's a lot of discussion that while isn't
confidential also isn't something that necessarily needs to be actively
broadcasted to the whole world. Now that there's a place for all interested
parties to have those discussions, they should be more open and transparent.
That's my take anyway, having been rather hands-off with the whole thing.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Chris and Mike. I'm still not sure why we didn't leave the IMC list
> alone and add a Steering list instead (plus the member list, of course), but
> this is starting to sound more workable with your clarifications.
>

> Bob

Josh King