[UCIMC-Tech] Grant non-IMC members IMC account?

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 10:39:32 CDT 2010

Josh and I had a discussion about granting access to some services,
like Wiki edit access, but not others, like email. This would address
the issues Nicole brought up. The issues that Mike brings up are
certainly important and I want to be cautious, too, but I think this
situation is different from WRFU's.

I think we can address any concerns by granting only wiki edit access
to certain users and revoking that access when it's no longer needed.
We may be liable for what's on the IMC wiki in that it should be a
living collection of IMC documentation and history. But we can also
roll back any undesirable changes non-members make.

If it becomes necessary, we can also grant edit access only to certain
parts of the wiki.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Brian,
> Another consideration here is potentially liability. This is not to say
> anything at all about the individual involved in the current case. But an
> example is WRFU. Because of the potential for individuals to engage in
> behavior that could threaten the WRFU license or to have conflicts with
> others at WRFU or in the IMC that might be expressed on air, we made
> membership in the IMC a requirement of WRFU membership. That way any person
> involved would fall under IMC policies.
>
> We should be cautious of creating circumstances where someone who isn't an
> IMC member essentially gets the keys, but without any actual obligations to
> the IMC. I'm not saying that the circumstances for Tech  here are like that
> for WRFU.  But it is important to keep in mind precedent, as when this is
> granted for someone who would never be a problem, the next time the question
> comes up, it might not be so clearcut.
>
> If the issue is primarily a financial one, like other working groups, Tech
> can waive part or all of the cost of IMC membership.
> Mike Lehman
>
> Brian Duggan wrote:
>>
>> I met a potential volunteer for the IMC Computer Help Desk this
>> Tuesday. He was very enthusiastic about staffing the Help Desk and
>> contributing to Help Desk documents on the wiki. He's not a member of
>> the IMC. Today he attempted to edit the wiki and found he could not do
>> so without an IMC account. He attempted to create an IMC account and
>> found that account creation had to go through a human being. He mailed
>> the Help Desk address asking for wiki edit access.
>>
>> I want non-members to be able to contribute to the wiki if they can,
>> but right now this means granting accounts on every service that are
>> benefits of IMC membership - mail, IM and microblogging accounts. It
>> would be kinda crummy for me to ask him to send me the network
>> troubleshooting documents he authored so that I could upload them to
>> the wiki.
>>
>> What's the current policy for granting an IMC account? Does someone
>> have to be a member of the IMC to have an account? What would be the
>> effect of granting accounts to non-members?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian

> believed to be clean.

Brian Duggan