[UCIMC-Tech] Prometheus seeks VISTA applicants - help demystify media policy and make more community radio

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Apr 21 22:25:54 CDT 2010

This is a great opportunity to work with a high profile organization for
someone who wants to combine data gathering, law, and kicking media reform
ass. - Danielle

<-- please forward widely -->

Want to demystify media policy and help make more community radio?

The Prometheus Radio Project is looking for a *Research and Technology VISTA
*to join our team! The VISTA member will serve for one year starting August
2, 2010 in Philadelphia. *Applications are due May 2nd*.

The Research and Technology VISTA will help gather information from
community radio stations about their needs and to develop tools to help
radio supporters participate in decisions made by the Federal Communications
Commission. Our goal is to empower radio supporters and help participatory
radio to flourish.

*About Prometheus*

The Prometheus Radio Project is a grassroots organization that builds
participatory radio as a tool for social justice organizing and a voice for
community expression.

--> We work to demystify media policy and technology, helping community
groups navigate the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the radio
licensing process, and providing technical assistance to groups building
radio stations.

--> We advocate for a more just media system, promoting media that is
democratic and accountable to its communities. We are tireless in our fight
to make community radio stations and other appropriate technologies
available to every neighborhood, every city, every town that needs them.

--> We help grassroots organizations build communications infrastructure to
strengthen their communities and movements. From farmworker groups fighting
for their rights in Oregon to environmental groups protecting the Chesapeake
Bay, we help community groups grow their own radio stations as tools for
their vital social justice organizing.

Prometheus and allies helped create the low power FM community radio
service<http://prometheusradio.org/low_power_radio>in 2000, and
prevented further media consolidation in our
court case against the FCC <http://prometheusradio.org/prp_vs_the_fcc> in
2004. We build and support community radio stations throughout the
U.S. and tour
the country <http://www.makingwaves.prometheusradio.org/> to connect social
justice movements to radio. Read more: http://prometheusradio.org.

*About the Transmission Project*

AmeriCorps VISTAs, or Digital Arts Service Corps members, are placed in
organizations for one year by the Transmission Project. Read more:
http://transmissionproject.org.

*Responsibilities*

The Research and Technology VISTA will work under the supervision of the
Policy Director as a member of the regulatory team and a participating
member of the Prometheus collective. The regulatory team evaluates the
impact of federal regulations on the community radio sector, and we educate
and inform on issues that allow participatory radio to grow. The VISTA will
be responsible for two key projects to build our capacity in this area:

1. Developing a survey “snapshot” of the regulatory landscape for community
radio in 2011. To create this snapshot, the VISTA will gather data to inform
and support our work by surveying community radio stations about the legal
and technical issues that effect their day-to-day operations. These issues
include encroachment by commercial stations and translators, diversity
reporting, HD radio, and more.

2. Creating systems to more effectively disseminate news and information to
empower community radio stations to define and defend their needs at the
FCC.

*Job Qualifications*
1.    Self-motivated
2.    Willing to learn about telecommunications regulations (in all their
exciting detail)
3.    Quantitatively-minded person
4.    Computer skills a must, especially experience with spreadsheets and
data sets
5.    Skilled at juggling numerous tasks
6.    A good communicator in writing and in group settings
7.    Committed to social justice

*Desirable Candidates also have experience in:*
1.    Radio or community media work
2.    Legal or technical writing
3.    Web design
4.    Database management (especially in Drupal and CiviCRM)
5.    Working in collectives or groups
*
Compensation*
1.   $11,757/year living allowance, paid biweekly
2.    $5,350 Education Award (for college tuition or loan repayment) or
$1,500 cash stipend paid at the successful completion of service
3.   Student loan deferment or forbearance on qualified loans
4.   Health care coverage (catastrophic coverage, prescription drug
coverage, and childcare allowance)
5.   Relocation assistance (if moving more than 50 miles to serve)
6.    $600 in "start up funds" for rent deposit or other living expenses
7.    Food stamp eligibility
Total compensation, including benefits and food stamps, is valued at
~$22,500 for the year.

We encourage applications from members of communities marginalized from
media ownership and access, including (but not limited to) people of color,
women, transgender people, LGBT and queer identified people, people with
disabilities, youth, seniors, and those for whom English is not a first
language.
*
Eligibility/Restrictions:*

AmeriCorps VISTA members must be U.S. citizens, U.S. national, or lawful
permanent residents and at least 18 years of age. You must be available to
serve full-time for one year, August 2, 2010 – August 2, 2011 in our office
in Philadelphia. Due to VISTA requirements, you may not have secondary
employment or full-time college during your year of service.

*How to Apply*

All applicants must create an account and apply through the Transmission
Project: http://apply.digitalartscorps.org/. Make sure to check the
Prometheus Radio Project as the organization to which you applying.

In addition, please send a brief writing sample directly to Prometheus at
jobs at prometheusradio.org. If your personal statement for the Transmission
Project does not specifically address the Prometheus position, also send us
a separate cover letter addressing your qualifications and interest in this
particular position and organization.

Applications are due May 2nd.  If you have any trouble meeting this
deadline, please email jobs at prometheusradio.org.  We cannot guarantee late
applications will be accepted.

If you have any questions about the position or the application process,
please call Halimah Marcus, Development Associate at (215) 727-9620 x 510.

Halimah Marcus
Prometheus Radio Project
Development and Communications Associate
Phone: 215-727-9620 x 510

Email: halimah at prometheusradio.org
www.prometheusradio.org

believed to be clean.