[UCIMC-Tech] [IMC] Unsubscribing: mail host certificate invalid

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:46:08 CST 2010

James,

We certainly apologize that the member of ZooImprov ran into this issue. We
recently added a CA certificate that is valid for the multiple domains. The
issue is that many browsers do not recognize or support the multi-host
domain certificates issued by CA Cert.

As an alternative, the tech group is considering providing more clear
instructions for end users that encounter this issue to assure them that the
certificate is valid for the list.chambana.net domain. The IMC cimply
doesn't have the money for a separate SSL certificate for every domain we
run, therefore there has to be some compromise. We're hoping that can be end
user education combined with announcements and documentation.

We chose to implement SSL on the mail server last week in order to provide a
better level of security on our lists and email services. To do that wed
needed to issue an SSL certificate that suited our needs, balanced with the
cost of such certs.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and we'll be working on the issue.
We certainly don't want people to be scared away from our mail host, and
we'll be putting some documentation in place to try to provide some
education that our certificate is valid and the steps people can use to
confirm that.

We want to assure you that the configuration we are using is valid, despite
the errors being reported by end user's browsers. As you say, the server
name listed isn't that different. Please help us educate IMC list users that
the use of certificates to cover multiple domains is very common.

If you have further input into this issue, particularly if you have
alternate solutions to recommend, we'd be happy to discuss it with you at
the Tech group meeting Tuesdays at 6pm at the IMC.

Chris Ritzo
IMC Tech

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM, J Wachtel <james at zooimprov.com> wrote:

> I wanted to draw your attention to a problem with your mailing list host
> cite certificate.
>
> ZooImprov is an IMC member, as is one member of our troupe, Brian Hagy.  We
> wanted to unsubscribe our address from your mailing list, and just let Brian
> keep us in the loop on emails from the IMC that we would want or need to be
> aware of.
>
> When our contact person clicked on the unsubscribe link in the IMC list
> email, she was met with an invalid certificate, showing that the
> lists.chambana.net/mailman/listinfo/imc address was using a certificate
> issued to another website.  She was scared off and forwarded her email to me
> to see what was up.
>
> Your certificate on your mail host is for mccoy.chambana.net.  A small
> difference, but it scared her off.  You should be able to clear this up by
> contacting CA Cert Signing Authority and getting them to issue one to match
> the lists.chambana.net host name.  You don't want people scared away from
> your mail host, I'm sure.
>
> Be well and have fun!
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>

> "Laughter is a response to a gestalt formation where two previously
> incompatible or dissimilar ideas suddenly form into a new piece of
> understanding.
> The energy release during that reaction comes out in laughter."
>                                                -- Del Close

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.