[UCIMC-Tech] help/advice for RFU website

Joe Futrelle joefutrelle at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:51:30 CDT 2010

Feeds module sounds like the way to go. Is the idea to have a job on
grimlock generate a feed file which Drupal, whose host would have the
relevant part of grimlock's fs mounted, would periodically read? And then
when the user clicks on a link in the generated node Drupal would serve the
mp3 to them depending on some authz policy that would be specified (how? in
what layer?) based on the user's LDAP identity which they got by
authenticating to Drupal? Or is WRFU's Drupal authentication separate from
LDAP authentication?

--
Joe Futrelle
Person

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Chris Ritzo <chris.ritzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting project. If the we made the education site use the IMC ldap for
> auth, access to grimlock could be controlled through ldap user or groups.
> Regarding the integration with drupal, the Feeds module could be used to
> access a csv with the relevant data and create/update drupal nodes.
>
> On May 19, 2010 12:01 PM, "Joe Futrelle" <joefutrelle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I want to develop a form for the RFU website that lets members download
> recordings of shows.
>
> The recordings reside on grimlock which I think Brian set up so the
> filesystem holding the recordings can be mounted remotely.
>
> The first approach that occurs to me is that I could write a Drupal module
> that would drop into the RFU website so Drupal's access control config could
> limit access to authenticated RFU website users (we can't just publish the
> recordings to the world at large because of licensing issues). The module
> would allow users to select which show and which airdate they want, and they
> would get an mp3 (access to uncompressed recordings via the website I
> imagine raises bandwidth issues and so that could be handled offline).
>
> If there's already a "download a file from a filesystem (with some
> filtering)" module for Drupal then I wouldn't have to write one.
>
> Alternatively, the recorder script could generate a feed for each show and
> the webserver could serve the feeds, but then there's the issue of how to
> secure the audio itself--again, we can't just make it web-accessible to
> unauthenticated users.
>
> Any and all advice or help welcome.
>
> All of these approaches require mounting grimlock's fs on a world-facing
> host, which I don't have sufficient credentials to do, so I could use help
> with that.
>
> --
> Joe Futrelle
> Person