[UCIMC-Tech] Paypal List

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 10:11:37 CDT 2010

  Who? Just me, AFAIK, at this point, but I've turned off getting
notices to myself. It originally was simply a means to notify Finance
and fiscally sponsored groups when Paypal funds arrived. Over the years,
whatever hack applied to send the email notifications became obsolete
and we gradually got to the point where most Paypal funds did not
generate a proper notice when submitted.

The info on it, even when it worked, was all duplicated inside our
Paypal account, so it is no actual consequence to Finance. And our
fiscally sponsored groups haven't used it in some time.

What's happened is the any email with "paypal" as part of the address
attracts lazy scammers, who think that they're finally going to find a
sap at the other end of the line, despite ten of thousands of previous
attempts at exactly the same thing having failed. There no way that it's
worth moderating the 1,000s of spams to find the one or two legitimate
notifications that are valid.

It needs to have the archive preserved, but to quit accepting any new mail.
Mike Lehman