[UCIMC-Tech] Sites Down

Josh King josh at chambana.net
Wed Jan 19 12:40:54 CST 2011

Sorry, I brought it back up last night and this morning, and now I'm
running tests to see if I can see what the problem is.

Okay, so let's try this. I re-tuned varnishd and apache. I actually
think the problem is with apache, not with varnish. Under load spikes
apache is ignoring its directives and spawning too many processes, and
once the system gets saturated from load varnishd is less able to
recover than apache because apache is composed of multiple, dynamically
restarting processes as opposed to varnishd's single process that is
more subject to error conditions. I believe the tuning done before to
try and maximize performance was wrongheaded with respect to how Linux
and FreeBSD respectively manage memory and processes. Hopefully with
these tweaks, the load will be brought down to something more manageable
given the server's capacity. I'm going to do some more benchmarking
(trying not to lock it up again) and see if this works better).