[UCIMC-Tech] [Imc-bookkeeper] telephone in b2p workroom not working

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:23:01 CST 2011

Here's a little more detail from what I've read in Comcast's voice
documentation and what it means for our setup.

All our outgoing calls are routed through the cable modem, but essentially
the infrastructure inside the building is still on POTS. So this is the
reason why there's a phone cable from the south hall patch panel to the
modem in the boiler room, and once I trace the line going to the Finance
office, I'll better know how it's patched through the patch panel. I was
reading up on this today at the library.

I think your suspicion about the BTP phone being off since we switched to
Comcast voice is likely correct. Getting it corrected may have just slipped
through the communication cracks. Anyway, if we're not using the other line
for anything, I think the quickest, easiest solution would be to run the
second line to BTP, then junction it off to Bike Project. They would share
the second #, leaving the main # for upstairs.

In the longer term, we could easily set up an open source PBX on a server
placed in the boiler room. I know Josh had this in his grand plans for tech,
and I've been reading up on it today. Also have a friend that runs one at
his house & could tap his expertise. Also have quite a few new tech folks in
the Makerspace who might be interested in working on this.

I agree that we should find or make covers for the patch panels in the south
hall. Tenants do use them, for instance, C4A. There's a clearly labeled line
for their service.