[UCIMC-Tech] [IMC] Please post this on front page...

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Sat May 7 22:55:02 CDT 2011

Apologies all for the issues with Captchas not working properly on the site
in the past couple days. This should largely be resolved now after I
implemented a new captcha module for all forms. For a couple days we had a
"missing words" captcha in place that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.
Now there is a more robust module that should provide fewer problems.

Mike is correct about stories vs. events. Events are posted to the calendar
only at this time, and stories with local scope appear on the front page of
the site. We separated events and stories about a year ago so space usage at
the IMC could be tracked as date-based events. In addition to coordinating
with the Shows group for event requests, website users can also submit
information about the event and a corresponding story to act as a press
release of sorts.

Apologies for the frustration Todd. Mike, thanks for the assist.

Chris

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Todd,
> Yep, I can do that.
>
> I think you may have been trying to put it up as an Event. That puts it on
the calendar, but not on the IMC Newswire.

> Instead, you need to post it as a Story instead, then choose Local under
Scope. That's how I got it where it is.

> As for the new captchas, still some issues there. However, it does work.
Just keep entering the right answers. It will eventually take them story,
but may require several tries, even if you're sure you're putting in the
correct answers.
> Mike Lehman
>
> On 5/6/2011 4:09 PM, Christopher Todd Durnil wrote:
>
> To whomever can help here -
> I have tried and tried to get this information posted on the front page of
ucimc.org and am giving up.  I do not understand how to get it posted,
CAPTCHAs consistently are not working as they should, and postings are not
going through.  Can someone (Chris, Brian Duggan, Tatyana, Kristina -
someone...) please help me and post this, please???
> Thanks!!!
> Todd Durnil

> The Champaign-Urbana Folk & Roots Festival and the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center proudly present a special concert featuring
Ghosttown Gramophone, The Eva Hunter Band, An Evening With Your Mother, and
The Palace Flophouse on Saturday, May 21, 2011, at 6pm - Midnight.  The
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center is located in the old Urbana Post
Office at 202 S. Broadway in Urbana, just north of the main entrance to the
Lincoln Square Mall.  Parking is available for free in the Urbana Parking
Lot across the street from the IMC.  Admission is $8 for Adults, $15 for
Couples, $5 for Students.  The Independent Media Center is an alcohol-free
venue, concessions will be available, all ages are admitted.

> Hailing from Bloomington, Ghosttown Gramophone (
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ghosttown-Gramophone/61032626210) is a rootsy
Americana Folk Rock band influenced by such greats as Bob Dylan, Neil Young,
Gram Parsons, The Jayhawks, Neko Case, Hank Williams, Uncle Tupelo, Townes
Van Zandt, Will "Bonnie Prince Billy" Oldham, The Band, and the old Sun
Records catalog.  The band features lead singer/guitarist/keyboardist Greg
Peterson, lead guitarist Jay Larson, bassist Mark Genrich, and percussionist
Tony SanFilippo.  They have been performing together now for five years and
garnered acclaim and a dedicated following from their debut cd "December
32nd."

> Admirer’s say it’s the immediacy in her eyes, honesty of her voice, and
her hauntingly poignant songs which make Eva Hunter (
http://www.facebook.com/evahunterband) a truly unique and powerful
performer. They describe her as having the raw emotion of Janis Joplin, the
growl of Melissa Ethridge, and yet the tenderness of Jewel. While
categorized as a singer-songwriter, Hunter fuses elements of country, folk,
light jazz and orchestrated rock as her alluring voice glides from a raspy
whisper to a gospel-like boom. In fifteen years of touring, Eva has
performed with many acclaimed artists, toured with popular Nashville band
The Floating Men, and formed a live band of top artists from her hometown
producing a total of five album releases, including the studio albums "Fancy
Prairie," "Thirsty'" and "No Missing Pieces."  Band Members include
guitarist Michael Sullivan, bassist Bruce Williams, and drummer Rick Snow.

> Formed in the early spring of 2010, An Evening With Your Mother  (
http://www.facebook.com/aneveningwithyourmother) is a local trio of young
musicians whose backgrounds range from musical theatre to classical
orchestras. However, they share a common set of influences and have joined
to create a unique folk/acoustic indie rock sound. To date they have written
over twenty original songs and performed throughout the Champaign-Urbana
area. The band has recorded an e.p., "Low Expectations," and are currently
working on their first full-length debut, to be titled "Trees," which they
will release this summer.

> The Palace Flophouse (http://www.facebook.com/tpfsounds) started as the
solo project of Bradley Bergstrand. He has since added mainstays Nathan Fry,
Gretchen Bergstrand and Asa Dawson, as well as various other musicians. Many
have frequently appeared on the band’s previous projects, which consist of
the lo-fi full-length “Yesterday was Fun!” and a split EP with the band “The
November Story.” The Palace Flophouse’s 2009 project, “Try Not to Get
Worried,”  is highlighted by unique, mixed-gender harmonies over energetic
acoustic guitar. The band’s lyrics are literal, meaningful, original and
engagingly narrative. The rhythm section is immediately essential, giving
the tracks depth and edge and allowing the band to flex emotionally. The
Palace Flophouse consists of a folk musician who has surrounded himself on
all sides with talented musicians, giving the initially straightforward
sound a slew of layers and versatility.  The band just released their
critically-acclaimed follow-up, "Bad Friends Forever."

youtube at: http://youtu.be/TyL1q72yeZw