[UCIMC-Tech] IMC Telephone system in the basement

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:57:34 CDT 2011

Thanks Mike. I wouldn't have known about this if you hadn't mentioned it,
but it might be worthwhile at some point to get that information from the
post office. I know I've looked at the POTs switchers in the basement &
wondered about what's actually connected there. My best guess is that you're
right about the boiler room- there's a POTS patch panel there that's
certainly not in use by us as far as I can tell, so documenting what is
theirs is a good idea.

I've been proceeding slowly, focusing mostly on documenting what our
infrastructure is and where it runs. I'd like to get it to the point where
it's clearly labeled also. We'll get there.

I did double check my phone system documentation from this past March. The
second number is indeed WRFUs, and my next steps on this will be to trace
the lines from both the booth and the finance office, so we know where all
the lines are run. That's about all I'm promising at this point, although my
geeky side wants to install an Asterix server and set up a PBX for the IMC.
I have a friend who did this at his house and it would be pretty rad. Each
number could have a configurable message, voicemail, etc. If we were to then
run more line extensions to different areas of the building, we could have
something like - press 1 for books to prisoners, press 2 for Makerspace
Urbana, etc.

Dream big, proceed in small steps.

-Chris