[UCIMC-Tech] ucimc.org out

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 23:51:26 UTC 2012

Thanks for reporting these issues folks. Here's what's going on:

- working on migrating the site to a new server has proved problematic bcs
of the size of the database and some issues we're resolving on the new
server. the downtime Mike is referencing was due to that about a week ago
until I switched the DNS back after a copy of the site failed to come up on
the new server.
- chambana.net and wrfu.net are down because they were not patched and were
insecure. chambana.net now should redirect to accounts.chambana.net and
wrfu.net is slated to be replaced with a new site to be built and managed
by RFU folks.
- today's outage was due to an issue I just discovered with our VPN.
somewhere there is a conflict with IP routing when a client is connected
via VPN for remote access. this is used for example when someone needs to
connect remotely to the finance computer. Today, I was connected to the VPN
for an extended period of time, and disconnecting resolved the issue for me.

For now, all IMC sites hosted in Urbana seem to be coming up fine for me
now. If someone else can confirm that would be swell.

Chris