[UCIMC-Tech] UCIMC in 2011: dancing robots, prisoner artwork, zine fest, oddmusic and more!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Mon Jan 9 10:46:50 CST 2012

 [image: IMC banner]

*Dear IMC members, friends, and supporters,*

*The Independent Media Center wishes you a happy New Year! *With the help
of our supporters and over 1200 volunteers, the UCIMC continued to seed &
grow projects to promote empowerment and expression through media and arts.

Please consider *renewing your
membership*<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/r/>or
making an
*end of the year tax deductible
donation*<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/y/>to
support all IMC programs.

Our ucimc.org website continues to be an *essential alternative news source*.
For example, a video was leaked to our site of a Champaign police officer
choking a young man in
handcuffs<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/j/>in
the back of a squad car which has had 13,000 views.
Donate<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/t/>to
ensure we can continue to provide a voice not heard in the mainstream
news.

20 youth participated in our 3rd annual *Indy Media and Arts Lab*, an
affordable summer camp for youth. The participants painted in the African
tradition, designed instruments, drew comics, and built robots that jumped,
moved, and danced to the delight of the viewers at the final
show.<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/i/>

Volunteers produced 1352 shows on *WFRU*, our community radio station, such
as Radio Triple R, a “street scrapin' Chicano music and issues program.”
The Urbana City Council praised the station as it unanimously passed a
resolution to allow for new tower construction that will extend WRFU’s
signal to cover a listening audience of 125,000 people. Donate to
WRFU<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/d/>
.

This year, *Books to Prisoners *passed the 60,000 mark in numbers of free
books volunteers shipped to Illinois prison inmates - representing a total
benefit of $360,138 to taxpayers. We hosted a Prison Arts Festival with a
film screening and art work from incarcerated men at the Danville
Correctional Center as well as “A Day in Stateville,” a written and
performed by former inmates. Donate to Books to
Prisoners<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/h/>.

UCIMC’s *Makerspace* has exploded with interest in using computers and
robotics to create creative works of art and media. We hosted a “Mini Maker
Faire,” a family-friendly event to bring together the arts, engineering,
and technology in the Do-It-Yourself spirit in our community. Donate to
Makerspace<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/k/>
.

The *public i* newspaper celebrated its ten year anniversary as an
advertisement-free venue for community voices with the release of a new online
searchable website<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/u/>of
every story published to date. The newspaper also organized a “Poetry
for the People Release Party & Open Mic Poetry
Slam<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/o/>”
where many came to pay witness to spoken word as a source of strength,
inspiration and joy in communities, especially among youth. Donate to the
public i<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/b/>
.

Our *librarians* group organized a spectacular “Midwest Zine Fest,” a
gathering of zine-makers, authors, speakers, and musicians. They also are
building a new library in the IMC meeting room. Donate to the
Librarians.<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/n/>

The UCIMC *performance venue* hosted 44 major performances and 121 events
and provided space to 15 community groups. One of our largest events was a
Folk and Roots Festival showcasing local and national performers and
peppering the center with three simultaneous jam sessions. We screened a
number of films including “Riot Arts” and held several cultural festivals
including ”African Diaspora Tradition Night.” Donate to the Shows
venue<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/p/>
.

Our *OddMusic* instrument free check-out library has grown to over 100
instruments! OddMusicians twice hosted “IMC Omnia” where artists converged
for 24 hours of marathon art-making culminating in a free, public showing;
a five-day “Microtonal Design Unconference” which brought musicians from
Indianapolis, Minneapolis, and Tennessee to the IMC for a collaborative
residency; and the first edition of "Xenharmonic Praxis Summer Camp," held
in West Virginia. Donate to
OddMusic<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/x/>
.

The UCIMC serves as the only host state in east central Illinois for the
State of Illinois *AmeriCorps* program. We have hosted 26 members to date
who have taught media production to the community, coordinated shows at our
venue, helped local artists get a show on our radio station, and sent books
to prisoners, as well as supported community partners. Over the three
years, our AmeriCorps program has provided $365,092 in benefit to our
community.

The UCIMC has *sponsored* over 40 projects, helping provide fiscal
oversight and grants administration for artists and incubating new
projects, such as the Bike Project which recently became its own 501c3.
Congratulations Bike
Project<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/m/>
!

Again, please consider *renewing your
membership*<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/c/>or
making an
*end of the year
donation*<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/q/>to
increase access to media and arts in our community.

Sincerely,

Danielle Chynoweth
Member, UCIMC Board of Directors
  Support Us

Donate with credit card or
paypal.<http://urbana-champaignindependentmediacenter.cmail2.com/t/r/l/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/a/>
 Mail a check payable to UCIMC at 202 S. Broadway Ave. #100, Urbana, IL,
61801

(217) 344-8820 /// finance at ucimc.org

 [image: Web Bug from https://cmail2.com/t/r/o/iiydtrd/pdljlurkr/o.gif]