[UCIMC-Tech] Networks screwy

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 14:37:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

So, you guys are building a new computer room in the former administrative
office space, eh?
Well, that's really cool, but...
David Roknich explained to me this morning a bit about the current
situation with the public computers on the wired network.
They are having issues -- only one seems to be able to connect to the
network at a time.   And the
WRFU studio computer is having problems on its wired connection as well.

It seemed to be intermittent.   I would pick up the ethernet hub/switch box
from the floor in the WRFU studio to examine its
status lights, and the network connection dialog would flash up on the WRFU
studio computer, as if it were a loose
ethernet plug/socket wire connection.   So, I went down and grabbed a
six-foot cable off of the pegboard in the Makerspace
and swapped the really short cable from the WRFU studio computer to the
ethernet switch/hub box.   No change.

The previous cable is on the table in the WRFU studio next to the dead
audio distribution amplifier.

So, anyway, David Roknich filled me in on the wired network situation,
which apparently is related to the build-out
in the new computer room.   So, carry on.   I will perpare a better show
for next week.

Oh, yeah, so you can't get to the Google Docs to fill out the station log
-- But I did the transmitter check at 07:50 and
everything seemed to be working except for the ethernet.    I did station
Ids every 20 minutes or so and promos for the
Summer Make-A-Ation.    I was out at 09:00.  I'll try and remember to fill
out the station log for today's show next week.

Cheers,

-Stewart, host, "TechKnowLedge" Thursday mornings from 8 to 9
("Technologically-dependent ne'er-do-well")