[UCIMC-Tech] set up email for Kate

Chris Ritzo critzo at chambana.net
Sun Sep 15 18:05:43 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Josh and I checked in last week about pulling together a plan and
implementing it to give UCIMC staff more web based control over the
process of domains, email addresses, etc, while not throwing out all our
past work. So just know that we're working on that and welcome your
input on it.

There are two ways for us to do email for @ucimc.org addresses currently.

1) Full email account - this is the part that requires a new entry in
our LDAP. Only needed if you want to use a mail program or Squirrel Mail
webmail, to send directly as someone at ucimc.org

2) Email alias pointing to another address. - this is what you
recommended Danielle, and is way easier at this time, particularly used
in tandem with a Gmail account. Tech just needs to know the alias
(username at ucimc.org) and what real email account it should forward to.

We create the alias on the mail server, notify you it's done, and that
address will be able to receive mail sent to the alias.

To send from Gmail, it's pretty easy to do as well. I've attached some
images of a test account which walks you through it.

So Virgol, Katie, just confirm what gmail accounts these aliases should
forward to, and I'll get them set up right away.

Best,
chris