[UCIMC-Tech] BTP Email lists

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:22:10 EDT 2014

Curious - Jay, do you have a good way to load names into a Google Groups
list?

It used to allow uploading a bunch of people and auto-subscribing them,
and that may still be possible, but their anti-spam provisions make it
very difficult.   You upload a very small number of people at a time,
and if you load too many - and they won't tell you how many that is -
then you're locked out and can upload no more for another day or so.
I was able to load a few tens at a time, up to most of a hundred per
day, when last doing this a couple years ago.   So a 500-person list
took more than a week to migrate, including a few lockouts.   I don't
know how this compares with the BTP lists.

Uploading addresses for people who then get Google
invitations-to-subscribe is less restrictive.   But unless you have a
good way of telling people what to expect, most will just miss the
subscription-invitation, or at least won't respond to it.

Not sure whether the above is helpful, but if you haven't already done
that migration, then maybe it'll give you an easier time than I had.
(I don't have access to do the things you'd actually want tech help
with, like getting the existing lists to forward messages to your new
google groups.)