[UCIMC-Tech] IMC 15th Anniversary celebration Oct 8-11 and tech projects

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Sun Aug 16 16:23:23 EDT 2015

Dear trusty Tech, RFU, and Makerspace friends,

We are 8 weeks away from a fabulous anniversary celebration for the IMC (15
years) and WRFU (10 years) the weekend of Oct 8-11. We hope you can make
it! Please RSVP
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1S9re-VKR3YQFy94cybkrQB-_eDraw3qs8lGdxCO0x_I/viewform>
if you plan on coming and share this Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1481911258774358/>with your friends.

There are two tech projects we need to do to prepare for the anniversary
and we are planning a tech work party on Saturday morning. I am reaching
out for volunteers who could support these projects. Please let me know if
you can help

BEFORE TO THE ANNIVERSARY

*Live broadcast and streaming from the stage*
- To fully realize our power as a media center, we need to set up the
ability to live broadcast on RFU and live stream online - and we'd like to
share live the anniversary events from the stage. The ability to do this to
RFU was set up and then lost, but the infrastructure is probably there. We
have a UStream account for livestreaming (or could migrate to YouTube
Live), but need a camera, a computer interface at the board, and some easy
instructions.  Where else can your event be so easily broadcast and
streamed live - how cool? *Anyone want to make this dream a reality?*

*WRFU Streaming*
- We are building a new IMC website (woot!) and want to launch online
streaming for WRFU. We just need someone download the Key to Internet Radio
guide <http://www.prometheusradio.org/key_to_internet_radio> that
Prometheus created, do a bit of research, make a recommendation, and do set
up. Getting RFU online to stream is a major hurdle for the station we want
to overcome so we can launch RFU online with its 10th birthday. Any takers?

DURING THE ANNVERSARY
*Tech work party Sat Oct 10th*
- In the spirit of the IMC, we are holding a work party Saturday morning
with 3 tracks: tech, gardening, and archiving. There are 2 proposed tech
activities:

1) Archiving our news. We have 3 databases of local and independent news
stories going back to 1999 that we would like to combine and make available
on the web.

2) A number of computers were donated to the IMC. These need to be
reviewed, set up, and tested. I am a bit out of the loop on this project so
if anyone has better info, let me know.

Please let me know if you have any interest in these projects or
suggestions/ideas to inform them.

Much thanks for all your do!
Danielle