[UCIMC-Tech] does Makerspace have a spare PC (even if stripped-of-RAM+disk) for WRFU streaming?

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:37:42 EST 2015

I'm pretty sure there are still 10-15 donated machines in the janitor's
closet opposite BTP which the board decided should be for IMC projects as
first priority.  They're core 2 duos and there are also stacks of hdd's and
most of the machines have ram.  I think the ones with red dots all post.
There are also lcd monitors down there.

- Jay

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Stuart Levy <stuartnlevy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm not sure how best to ask something of the Makerspace in general -
> hope you don't mind it going to you.
>
> Question: does Makerspace, or the IMC in general, have a spare PC in
> good condition - *even a stripped one,* lacking disk or RAM - which
> could become WRFU's dedicated internet streaming server?    If so, could
> I have it?    I'd like to populate it with any needed hardware and set
> it up somewhere.
>
> Details:
>
> WRFU still aims to start internet streaming, hopefully close to the turn
> of the year.   Don McClure and I were talking about this last night.
>
> Chris Ritzo had set up a demonstration server using AirTime
> software+service, during the October anniversary gathering.   It worked
> well, but depended on using AirTime's cloud servers -- which meant we
> got support (good) but have limited & expensive storage for archiving
> programming (not so good).   The service also costs about $500/year for
> a reasonable number of streams (not great either).
>
> It's supposedly also possible to install the same AirTime software onto
> a *local* computer, let it be the streaming source, and archive programs
> onto its filesystems.   Then we could archive lots of programs, and
> wouldn't need to pay AirTime's cloud charges, at the cost of having to
> maintain and back up the machine ourselves.    I think that's the best
> way to go.
>
> Am hoping there's a donated shell-of-a-PC which could serve.   AirTime
> is supported under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, so I'd probably install that.   I
> would go and buy any needed hardware to make it functional.
>
> We'd need to find a good place for it where it'd (a) have a good
> internet connection, (b) be reasonably accessible but (c) be fairly
> protected from temperature extremes, being tripped over, etc.

- Jay