[UCIMC-Tech] networking for WRFU streaming - public-facing IP? socket? + wrfu.net domain

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 00:16:29 EST 2015

Great!

I've fixed the streamer computer so it considers itself to be
"stream.wrfu.net", so yes please do register it that way.

Public-facing DNS setup: I don't know whether you prefer redundant A
records vs. CNAMEs.   If you don't have any reason to prefer a different
configuration, then how about:

    stream.wrfu.net IN A <publicIP>
    www.wrfu.net    IN A <samepublicIP>
    wrfu.net        IN A <samepublicIP>

and with the reverse-DNS for publicIP pointing to www.wrfu.net.

Internal DNS setup: if "stream.wrfu.net" can point to the internal
192.168 DHCP IP, that could be best.   Otherwise we can use the numeric
IP address for configuring the studio-to-streamer connection.

I saw you'd set up "butt" on the studio computer - that looks convenient
- and has the nice property that it doesn't automatically disconnect
when the streamer-end disconnects for some reason, unlike Mixxx which
just drops the connection until manually kicked.

Re keeping things simple re VLANs - sounds good to me.

Thank you!!

     Stuart