[UCIMC-Tech] IMC public PCs Ubuntu-ified - and IMC communication

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 23:44:42 EDT 2015

/A non-fictional fable about some things happening in the IMC follows,
with lessons at the end./

About ten days ago, I'd asked imc-tech list + some makerspace people
whether anyone had a plan for the (then-unusable) IMC public PCs - I was
offering to install ubuntu on them if nobody did.   Nobody responded.
I guessed that meant that nobody felt ownership of them.

Last weekend, I learned - thanks to Sophia! - that Barry Todd had been
feeling responsible for them.   Barry and I traded notes, and one or the
other of us would go install some usable software, either Ubuntu or
Windows 7, on them in time for the bulk of this weekend's festivities.
Great.

This afternoon, I had some time, and went over to the IMC.   A meeting
was in progress next to the PCs, so I hung out and waited for that to
end, about 40 minutes.

While I was there, Chris Ritzo came by, we chatted, he showed me some of
the great stuff he's been doing toward WRFU streaming - even to the
point of trying it out.   This is wonderful!

When the meeting ended, I went to check out the PCs, and found:

    (a) They were plugged into a switched outlet, which had been
switched off at the breaker.
         So anyone pressing their On buttons would get nowhere.
         I moved them (/for the second time/) to a non-switched
circuit.  (How should this be communicated?  See below.)

    (b) Someone had already installed Ubuntu on them, just this morning
around 11am.   It works nicely.

    (c) Sophia had not heard of (b) and was not sure who would have done it.

*For better and worse,* this is typical of how things work at the IMC:

     - The IMC can a neat place to hang out.   By hanging out there, I
met by chance with Chris, a valuable meeting as well as a pleasant one.
     - People see needs and fill them.  That what you'd hope for.
     - People too often DON'T TELL OTHERS WHAT IS HAPPENING OR WHY.

Because of this,
    I lost about 75 minutes I could have used better elsewhere.

    I don't know who set up Ubuntu.   I'm guessing it wasn't Barry, who
would likely have installed Windows (as he previously had on the other
similar machines in the office) and would likely have let me know he'd
gone in to set them up.

    What if someone wants additional Ubuntu packages installed besides
the default ones (a media editor, mplayer, cd burner, Chrome browser,
...)?   Who has an admin password to the machines to make that
possible?   Who would even know who might have it?   Should I just break
in and create an admin account?

    This last is not a theoretical question.   I would like to install a
CD/DVD-burner on at least one of those computers, and then let people
know it's available.   This would involve hardware and probably
software.   (Hardware?   Should I buy a CD writer drive, or is one lying
around?)

*What I wish, for a start:*
    The imc-tech at lists.chambana.net list could be a good place to trade
this sort of information.   Not just "such-and-such is broken, please
help", but a place to log plans and actions.   I know Barry has been
finding surprising changes made to things he's been feeling responsible
for keeping up - not a good way to maintain morale.