[UCIMC-Tech] IMC lab computers - anyone keeping em? If not, may I install ubuntu on them?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:10:12 EDT 2015

Is anyone feeling responsible for the IMC lab computers - the two HPs
which say they were donated from Parkland?   Or better, does anyone have
a plan for them?

They seem to have un-bootable copies of Windows on them at the moment.
I don't know whether there's any valuable software on the windows side.

If nobody has a better plan, I'd be game to wipe and install Ubuntu
(14.04 LTS, say) on them.

Why:  Jim Tippett had mentioned that it would be nice to have a closer
place than the U of I campus library to burn CDs for his WRFU program.
I thought, Why not the lab computers?

In order to actually do what Jim had in mind, we'd need a CD burner
too.   Right now both have read-only drives.   I'd buy & donate an
internal drive or two if someone else would install the hardware.

But I'd be willing to set up Linux in any case, with say a guest-account
(no history, no saved files after logout).