[IMC-US-tech] Greetings and first thoughts

max msussman at umich.edu
Mon Sep 22 14:26:10 CDT 2003

Ana-
good to have you on this list!

we use dada at the michiganIMC and I've found it be solid: reliable
(ben you can correct me on this), with an editorial interface that is
powerful and easy to use (once you figure it out).  Something else good
about dada is that it is a modular design, which means that you can
pick and choose which features you want to use, and if we have some
willing programmers, presumably add features as we see fit.  in
Michigan, for example, we've disabled the media gallery, because we
found that people were posting pictures without text that nobody got to
see. we encourage people to post pictures on the newswire now.
dada works with the radicalendar (radicalendar.org) - you can have a
small box show up on the front page with today's events (we have that
feature active, as does baltimore, and probably others that I don't
know offhand).  check out http://www.radicalendar.org/group/michiganimc
for what our calendar looks like.

there are several ways to make features using dada.  the one that
cancun was utilizing, I assume, was the "promotion by rating" option.
this means that if a newswire article gets a high rating by visitors to
the site, it is automatically submitted for feature-hood.  we have it
set up in a modified consensus form - three editors need to vote
positive without any of them dissenting in order to put up a feature.
this works well for us because we have only three editors that are in
constant communication.  it would be really easy to set it up similarly
to the global site: discussion about features on an email list, then
after a specified amount of time (global is six hours), anyone with
access can put up the feature.

additionally, it's easy to write in the dense hyper-link form that the
portal site generally uses.  for an example, check out michiganimc.org
and look at the 'rahul mahajan visits michigan' article.  I also like
dada because it's easily customizable in terms of design (michigan has
a much calmer look than cancun or UC-IMC, for example, all using dada),
and I think it's important that our site looks awesome, because the
potential audience is going to be huge.

hopefully some techies will chime in about these issues.  I've also
cc'ed to spud, who wrote the dadaIMC code.

max