[IMC-US-tech] RE: [IMC-US] Re: Acorn Active Media Worker Collective Offer: (Sascha Meinrath)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Jan 5 12:20:57 CST 2004

Hi all,

As someone who's been a core organizer of both the IMC-US and Acorn Active
Media I don't understand what the problem is in accepting this offer.
Acorn is entirely composed of folks who've been active in Indymedia for
years -- the workers are the "tech genius friends" everyone's been talking
about.  Acorn has the resources to get the IMC-US site up and running, and
is simply asking to be acknowledged for the effort.

Acorn folks have already helped build and maintain some of the stuff we're
already using (e.g., the server that our e-mail lists are on), and will
continue to help out in small ways either way.  But the idea behind this
offer is that Acorn would put IMC-US as a first priority for the group,
get the work done, and get the site up and running as soon as possible.

Acorn's offer would provide the critical mass to the tech effort to move
things forward on this project so that all the people who are waiting for
the tech work to be done can get involved.  The IMC-US-Tech group (who is
doing the actual work of getting things up and running) already feels that
things have been stalled long enough and that this is a good way to move
forward.

As with Max, I feel that there's been ample calls for alternatives to be
brought forward, but there haven't been any.  After pondering the stalling
of IMC-US implementation for a couple months, and following queries from
several folks about how to get the IMC-US moving forward again, I asked
the Acorn group to get involved.  Getting the help of a professional
company for free is pretty awesome -- the fact that Acorn is willing to
barter for the work instead of charging $35-75/hour is due to the fact
that we're all Indymedia folks too and want to help out with the effort.

It's a one-off partnership that's a win-win situation for everyone
involved.  If folks don't want to do this, then I feel that they should
bring up another alternative that will get things done -- otherwise, the
result is to actually stop implementation of IMC-US.

And I'm happy to discuss this offer more, answer questions folks have,
look for an alternative, etc.  But I also feel like we've got an offer on
the table that's pretty exceptional.

--Sascha