[IMC-US-tech] Re: [IMC-US] Re: Acorn Active Media Worker Collective Offer: (Sascha Meinrath)

Garth Liebhaber garthliebhaber at care2.com
Tue Jan 6 16:05:21 CST 2004

hey all,

1.  I think this discussion is healthy and important for not only this issue, but to develop our working philosophy with each
other.  If someone raises a concern, it should be treated with respect.

2.  As we are in the midst of discussion on this, it is not an appropriate time to ask if someone is blocking or not.  I would
also like to note that yes, we should be constructive in our criticisms and be willing to offer up viable alternatives.
Likewise, sometimes there are bad ideas that should not happen, even if obvious alternatives do not present themselves.
I am not saying that per se about ACORN, but in all situations, it is an aspect.

3.  I would like to know ACORN's mission statement.  I would even go so far as to block the ACORN proposal until we
know so.  If that has been laid out already in this discussion; I did not see it in my reading.  I also think we should keep the
discussion for ACORN on this list; Sascha has been acting as liason for the group and it would serve us well to not have
more mix-ups and unnecesarily repeated questitons, etc.

4.  Has there been a nation-wide call-out to get diversified tech support?  I would rather see a diversification of support for
the project than for us to be as urbana-champaign centric.  If the outreach hasn't been done, let's do it.  If it has and we've
turned up nil, let's clarify the mission of ACORN and if appropriate go forward.

5.  IMC is not CNN.  It is a non-corporate, non-authoritarian project.  It has limitations compared to CNN, yes, and by
default will never match certain aspects.  But there are also many IMC attributes that CNN will never match.  Right now it is
important we keep IMC, and not try creating another CNN.

ciao,
Garth Liebhaber
Chicago Liason

i share sascha and max's frustration with this new concern; i also would
like to know if the people concerned are blocking this proposal or not,
and if they are, i would like them to come up with a viable alternative,
but it seems to me that further discussion of this is yet another stall in
this project, and in my opinion, there have been enough of those.

It's 2004 - time to gear up for November's Presidential election. Which candidate do you support? http://www.care2.com/go/z/election04