[IMC-US-tech] great to see us moving again!

Garth Liebhaber garthliebhaber at care2.com
Thu Jan 22 11:41:18 CST 2004

I don't know if chicago would actually block the acorn thing on basis of soros grant.  i'll rehash it out with collective this
sunday.  as we are not designing completely new software and stuff it seems like more of a non-issue.

do we have a graphic design person who will be able to implement changes to the face of the site, at least as mockups for
a techy person to then implement?  our design volunteer here in chicago is currently up to her eyeballs with our own site...

I like the idea of a language translator keyed to the users browser- perhaps with a few manual choices on the homepage
though- taking into account public computers, and to contend with a dominance of english browsers as well.

was the conversation on open publishing resolved?  will we have a newswire of syndicated features as well as an open
posting newswire, then?  maybe it's not as large of a jump in work for the collective than i'd thought?.....the big advantage i
see in being open publishing is that it will allow us to draw features from material that didn't pass the 'test' of syndicated
sites.

ciao,
garth

Language detection would be nice, i.e. detect what language their
browser is set for and display the appropriate interface (ala Google).
Alternately, provide separate versions of the website that you can
manually switch between (and possibly automatic translation tools for
news articles). I have a bit of experience with this if anyone's
interested in working on it and needs some help. Unfortunately, my
schedule doesn't leave me much hope of working on this by myself (which
is why Acorn is such a good idea, IMO).

Ryan Smith, Tennessee IMC